Internal linking SEO strategies are one of the most important on page SEO techniques which many beginner bloggers and webmasters typically ignore and give less importance. But if you want to increase your blog rankings in Google then you have to use various on page and off page SEO optimization techniques to increase your blog site rankings in Google and other search engines.
So until now if you are not utilizing you internal link building structure to improve your rankings then you are making a terrible mistake and holding your ranking power of your blog site.
I have seen guys who are using smart internal link building optimization techniques to boost their rankings in search engines results, and this is the one art if you can excel the surely as with more and more experience you can dominate the Google SERP results.
When I was a newbie in this SEO and blogging industry, I did not know anything about SEO optimization and link building but when I realized the power of effective internal linking strategy to boost the blog post rankings.
Then I tried to learn different internal linking SEO strategies and used it on my blog, and the results are excellent in fact great, and I love it.
So I am going to share the best and a result oriented internal link building optimization strategy which must use on your blog site regularly.
But before going to learn the best internal linking SEO practices, we will see what exactly is internal link building
What is Internal Link Building In SEO
Internal link building in SEO is the process in which you internally link your blog posts and pages with each other using an anchor tag, and it helps our readers to find other relevant and important posts and pages on our blog or website which are relevant to the context of the page.
Internal links also help the search engines bots to crawl the pages on our blog or website more deeply and passing the link juice SEO benefits from one page to another, So there are many benefits of interlinking blog posts for SEO So this is must do SEO technique for any blogger.
SEO Benefits of Good Internal Linking Structure
1) Link Juice – If you opt good internal linking SEO structure then you are going to pass the link juice to other relevant pages and at the same time help search engine crawlers to crawl more pages from your blog or website.
2) Reduces Bounce rate – If your blog site bounce rate is high then you must use internal linking to reduce bounce rate of your blog by building internal links to other pages on your blog, and this will tremendously reduce your bounce rate are readers will click and read more posts and pages on your website.
3) Increase SERP Rankings – If you are using the best internal linking practices, then you can increase the rankings of other posts and pages in the search results.
4) Real User Experience – If you want to make Google love your blog or website then give your visitors the best reading experience and try to give them more information as possible about that particular topic and by effective link building strategies you can pass this test very quickly.
So now that you know the benefits of interlinking your blog post, and pages now let move on to the next section of how to internal linking for SEO.
Internal Link Building Strategies & Best Practices
1) Link Posts and Pages – You must interlink you blog posts and pages regularly so that you can increase the ranking of the other pages on your blog site and also increase page views.
But you most only interlink to the pages which are related to the page which you are linking to. Otherwise, it will not give many benefits regarding SEO.
If that page is relevant, then you must interlink with them to provide more information to your readers and visitors will pass the link juice to that particular page.
Must Read – How To Avoid Google Penalties
So for example, if you are writing a blog post about ” Best Fashion Tips” then you can interlink to other pages on your website which is related to fashion.
But if you building internal link to a page about ” How to get rid of mosquitoes” then that particular page is not going to benefit much.
So the best link building strategy is the do interlinking between the pages which you feel are most relevant.
2) Anchor Text – Anchor text is the text which you are going to use to build internal links to other pages on your blog, and you must use descriptive anchor text for interlinking.
So for example: if you are writing want to link to a particular page about SEO tips for beginners, then you can use anchor text like SEO tips which clearly defines the purpose of interlinking to search engine but don’t use text like Click here or something which doesn’t describe the link correctly.
And by doing this, your readers who want to know more about that particular phrase or topic can click on that link are read more about that particular subject.
3) Do follow or no follow – Now you must be thinking that whether should I put do follow, or no follow link to internal links but let me tell you that why you are going to use no follow.
Do you want the search engines not to crawl more pages from your blog and pass the link juice to fewer authority pages and I am sure you are going to say yes I want them.
Then using follow for all your internal links as this will freely pass the link juice and SEO benefits to other low-performing pages on your website.
To give you more info about do follow, and no follow you can read the below-mentioned post in which you get the clear idea as to when you must use do follow link vs. no follow links.
4) Anchor Text Variations – If you want to play a safe game and protect your website from Google penalty then you must use anchor text variations. However, there is not 100% proof that using optimized anchor text for internal linking will get your blog or website penalized.
But if you are overdoing this then the story is little different So the best strategy is to use variations for internal link building.
See friends even though Matt Cutts said that your blog or website is not going to get penalized for internal linking with optimized anchor tags, and sure you can use optimized anchor tags to interlink your posts and pages.
But if you are overdoing and pointed 100 of optimized anchor text links to other pages then that is not okay internal linking SEO practice, and you must avoid doing this.
See Google says if you are going to provide the value to your readers then we are going to do the same with you but if you are trying to manipulate search engine rankings, then Google is the boss and will dump your pages big time.
5) Number of Links- Ideally you can interlink 4 to 5 relevant pages with each other but if you are having like 30 to links on one particular page then it’s of no use and you are diluting the link juice benefits, and the interlinked pages will not extract any advantage.
So the best practices are to keep your internal links numbers to a reasonable point.However, Matt Cutts have told that one page can have 100 link limit, but if you cross that then it looks spammy.
6) Site-wide links – The side wide links such as footer links are having less SEO value as compared to contextual links So if you are interlinking to posts and pages from your footer links then it will not give much SEO boost.
So try to build links from the context of your post or pages as this will pass more link juice.
7) Homepage Links- You must be knowing that home page is the most important pages on your blog, and it has more no of links pointing to it as compared to other pages on your blog site.
So this is another best internal link building strategy to link relevant posts and pages from your home page, and you can use widgets like popular posts or latest posts to highlight important pages from your blog.
8) Related posts – Well again this is smart link building strategy to show related posts at the end of your blog posts and this will also help you to get more page views and will assist in improving your blog bounce rate.
What related posts does it pick other similar posts from your blog which are similar and relevant to the current page, and this will increase the chances that your readers will check them also, this is superb strategy and has lots of benefits.
So friends this were internal linking SEO strategies & best practices which you must follow to increase your posts or pages rankings in search engines.
If you have any question or want to ask anything you can ask me via comments and I will be more than happy to assist you and don’t forget to share and subscribe to get more SEO tips and tricks, now go and start building internal links on your blog! Enjoy